Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Projects for the New Year

easy010313.jpgIt is time for the New Year and new projects to start in your home.  If you are not ready to take on a big project, here are some little projects that can you can start with.  Did you have a New Year's Resolution that involved your home?  Break it down into smaller projects that way it is easier to tackle.  Here are some great projects you can start on today.

Clean Out Your Closet(s)
My predilection for post-holiday sales-shopping means this is second nature to me. After all, you've got to have somewhere to put your new stuff! Spring will be here before you know it, so you might as well make room for new things now.

January also feels like a natural halfway point in the season; I find that if I haven't worn something so far this winter, I'm unlikely to. Alter, donate or pass on as necessary, and check out this post for more closet-clearing inspiration.

Lighten Your Digital Load
This one's easy to do from the comfort of your sofa (providing you have a laptop; otherwise you'll have to move to your desk). A lot of junk can build up on your computer over the year, and now is the time to clear it out. Delete that which you don't need, and store what you do (January is a great time to go buy that external hard drive you've been meaning to pick up).

Also take the time to unsubscribe from newsletters you no longer read, delete old email and store accounts you no longer use, and make sure all your software is up to date. You'll feel better for it, and your computer will thank you.

Organize (and Display!) Your Photos
Sometime this month, I'll sit down and create a 2012 photo book of my holidays, events and get-togethers from the past year. This gets the photos off of my computer and into a tangible form that I and others can actually enjoy (not to mention it's super-fun reliving all the great moments). I've also chosen a few of my favorite snaps to print and frame, since I've made it a personal intention to display more personal photos around my home.

What do you think of these bite-sized projects? Do you prefer them to a full-fledged Cure, or are you more of an all-or-nothing type? Have any other manageable home-improvement ideas to share?


For more information see Apartment Therapy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More